but more hot than smokin', though, right?
Not long ago, our toaster of six years -finally- started giving out.
We were secretly happy.
Now
-finally-
we could get one
with a cancel button
instead of wrestling the lever up when we wanted our bread back.
[the toaster is a fighter]
Jason had also commented that he wanted a
fancy four-slice toaster
so that he could preserve his own settings
and let me have mine
[that's what makes him so nice]
[and he is very particular about his toast]
[and that's what makes it so good]
So what better way to show my love
than to indulge
his love
of a hot buttered slice of whole wheat goodness?
Valentine's Day breakfast in bed included a surprise bedside toaster,
toast [yes, really]
toaster pastries [had to try out the defrost button]
soft scrambled eggs
fruit & yogurt smoothies [in goblets because it makes me feel fancy]
Jason set to work with his new appliance.
And then the chaos started.
No sooner had I brought Janie into bed to join us for some eggs
than the smoke alarms went off.
Apparently 5 is way too high of a setting for this toaster.
Luckily they stopped beeping after about 30 seconds.
But we had to get some new bread.
And then Janie didn't want to eat much.
Then I had to rush to a meeting.
Then rush home.
Get started on an ambitious dinner
and a fudgy crock pot chocolate cake.
[My family was coming to celebrate my parent's 30th anniversary.]
Then we three were off to church.
Rush home.
We were met at the door with the smelled of scorched chocolate.
The cake was burning.
I tasted it. It was bad [or was it just the smell overpowering my taste buds? I couldn't decide.]
Finally Jason put it outside.
We clean up.
Change clothes.
Work to finish making food.
-and try not to wish I had a cancel button for this dinner invitation-
Janie won't eat.
Finally I put her in her bed to sleep [though it is way past her nap time]
Ten minutes later I hear her crying.
I go upstairs and discover why she wouldn't eat.
Stomach flu.
On the diaper end.
Everywhere!
I call for backup.
As I pull her tights off I get splattered [that is the nicest way I can say it]
And there's a knock at the door.
Our dinner guests have just arrived.
Good thing it's family: we make them wait.
I clean myself up.
Then I take over baby duty [and doody]
while Jason gets the door.
Then he comes back up to dress her
because I just remembered I have water boiling on the stove for the pasta.
We eat 50 minutes later.
And apologize for the lack of dessert.
But then we had a family Valentine's party.
Everyone brought treats and valentines.
Each person had a bag with their name, and we distribute our goodies elementary-school style.
Grandma wrote poems for everyone.
Ethan made acronyms with everyone's names
[though he replaced matronly with motherly. I didn't say anything, obviously, because I am also Earnest and Good-hearted.]
Mom and Dad gave out ginormous Symphony bars and dark chocolate peanut M&M's.
Russell used his mad computer skills to print some really homemade-looking, comically ill-worded cards.
Adri made Muddy Buddies, heart-shaped cookies and the sweetest poem for Janie.
As we sat enjoying our treats and company,
Grandma commented sweetly that it was like Christmas morning.
It was the perfect pick-me-up to our Valentine's Day mayhem.
Even later that night when Jason informed me he also had the stomach flu.
-and I kind of wished for a cancel button-
And especially when my Tuesday morning breakfast didn't stay down
-and I really wished for a cancel button-
And then just when I thought I was toast,
Jason stayed home from work to take care of us
[that's what makes him so nice]
and I will raise my fancy smoothie-filled goblet to my lover
[just as soon as I can stand the smell of it, that is.]
Not long ago, our toaster of six years -finally- started giving out.
We were secretly happy.
Now
-finally-
we could get one
with a cancel button
instead of wrestling the lever up when we wanted our bread back.
[the toaster is a fighter]
Jason had also commented that he wanted a
fancy four-slice toaster
so that he could preserve his own settings
and let me have mine
[that's what makes him so nice]
[and he is very particular about his toast]
[and that's what makes it so good]
So what better way to show my love
than to indulge
his love
of a hot buttered slice of whole wheat goodness?
Valentine's Day breakfast in bed included a surprise bedside toaster,
toast [yes, really]
toaster pastries [had to try out the defrost button]
soft scrambled eggs
fruit & yogurt smoothies [in goblets because it makes me feel fancy]
Jason set to work with his new appliance.
And then the chaos started.
No sooner had I brought Janie into bed to join us for some eggs
than the smoke alarms went off.
Apparently 5 is way too high of a setting for this toaster.
Luckily they stopped beeping after about 30 seconds.
But we had to get some new bread.
And then Janie didn't want to eat much.
Then I had to rush to a meeting.
Then rush home.
Get started on an ambitious dinner
and a fudgy crock pot chocolate cake.
[My family was coming to celebrate my parent's 30th anniversary.]
Then we three were off to church.
Rush home.
We were met at the door with the smelled of scorched chocolate.
The cake was burning.
I tasted it. It was bad [or was it just the smell overpowering my taste buds? I couldn't decide.]
Finally Jason put it outside.
We clean up.
Change clothes.
Work to finish making food.
-and try not to wish I had a cancel button for this dinner invitation-
Janie won't eat.
Finally I put her in her bed to sleep [though it is way past her nap time]
Ten minutes later I hear her crying.
I go upstairs and discover why she wouldn't eat.
Stomach flu.
On the diaper end.
Everywhere!
I call for backup.
As I pull her tights off I get splattered [that is the nicest way I can say it]
And there's a knock at the door.
Our dinner guests have just arrived.
Good thing it's family: we make them wait.
I clean myself up.
Then I take over baby duty [and doody]
while Jason gets the door.
Then he comes back up to dress her
because I just remembered I have water boiling on the stove for the pasta.
We eat 50 minutes later.
And apologize for the lack of dessert.
But then we had a family Valentine's party.
Everyone brought treats and valentines.
Each person had a bag with their name, and we distribute our goodies elementary-school style.
Grandma wrote poems for everyone.
Ethan made acronyms with everyone's names
[though he replaced matronly with motherly. I didn't say anything, obviously, because I am also Earnest and Good-hearted.]
Mom and Dad gave out ginormous Symphony bars and dark chocolate peanut M&M's.
Russell used his mad computer skills to print some really homemade-looking, comically ill-worded cards.
Adri made Muddy Buddies, heart-shaped cookies and the sweetest poem for Janie.
As we sat enjoying our treats and company,
Grandma commented sweetly that it was like Christmas morning.
It was the perfect pick-me-up to our Valentine's Day mayhem.
Even later that night when Jason informed me he also had the stomach flu.
-and I kind of wished for a cancel button-
And especially when my Tuesday morning breakfast didn't stay down
-and I really wished for a cancel button-
And then just when I thought I was toast,
Jason stayed home from work to take care of us
[that's what makes him so nice]
and I will raise my fancy smoothie-filled goblet to my lover
[just as soon as I can stand the smell of it, that is.]


