Our backyard is pretty bad.
I don't know why I'm telling you this
but we have a few weeds, there by the fence,
that are 3 or 4 feet high,
thick and ugly and prickly as they come.
The grass is infested with them, too.
They are smaller, but they make up for their size in numbers.
[why AM I telling you this?]
We don't go back there much in the Summer
and I guess it just got out of hand.
They were scaling the fence before I even noticed them
[sad because our backyard is really small!]
So now it's gonna take some work,
sharp tools,
sturdy gloves
and possibly some kind of poison
to kill the beasts.
Right down to their nasty roots.
[here's why I'm telling you this]
In the back of my subconsious, over there by my insecurities system,
a few bad habits were growing,
thick and unsightly and a little bit stifling.
Some are smaller, but they make up for their size in numbers.
I guess I didn't notice them until they got out of hand.
So it took some work,
some spiritual shoveling, mental pruning and heart raking
to try and rip them out
right down to their nasty roots.
The most stubborn of them all: going to bed late.
Still working on it, actually.
It's deep.
Been growing now since, oh, infancy.
[My mom says as a baby I would never go to bed before one in the morning.]
So I have been trying to reshuffle my whole schedule to beat this thing.
And some things got shuffled right out for a while.
Like my poor little blog here.
Today is the first day I got up at my goal hour.
Hooray.
[Except I probably should be outside weeding.]
[Why on earth
do they call it
morning glory
anyway?]
I don't know why I'm telling you this
but we have a few weeds, there by the fence,
that are 3 or 4 feet high,
thick and ugly and prickly as they come.
The grass is infested with them, too.
They are smaller, but they make up for their size in numbers.
[why AM I telling you this?]
We don't go back there much in the Summer
and I guess it just got out of hand.
They were scaling the fence before I even noticed them
[sad because our backyard is really small!]
So now it's gonna take some work,
sharp tools,
sturdy gloves
and possibly some kind of poison
to kill the beasts.
Right down to their nasty roots.
[here's why I'm telling you this]
In the back of my subconsious, over there by my insecurities system,
a few bad habits were growing,
thick and unsightly and a little bit stifling.
Some are smaller, but they make up for their size in numbers.
I guess I didn't notice them until they got out of hand.
So it took some work,
some spiritual shoveling, mental pruning and heart raking
to try and rip them out
right down to their nasty roots.
The most stubborn of them all: going to bed late.
Still working on it, actually.
It's deep.
Been growing now since, oh, infancy.
[My mom says as a baby I would never go to bed before one in the morning.]
So I have been trying to reshuffle my whole schedule to beat this thing.
And some things got shuffled right out for a while.
Like my poor little blog here.
Today is the first day I got up at my goal hour.
Hooray.
[Except I probably should be outside weeding.]
[Why on earth
do they call it
morning glory
anyway?]



4 comments:
Meg, I have been meaning to come visit you like every day this week and bring those curlers.. but I always think about it when it's not possible for me to come anymore!! so be expecting a call from me soon.. very soon! probably even before you read this! oh and I don't know if you ever saw the weeds in our backyard in our last house.. they were taller than me- thats all I'm gonna say!
Meg - you just described our backyard! I rarely look forward to the snow, but i'm kinda excited for it to cover up my weeds! (course I probably should just bite the bullet and get out there and do some gardening). Anyways, good luck with getting to bed earlier, I always think its more fun to be a night owl than an early bird, so I hear ya!
I love your posts... you write so beautifully and capture emotions and feelings so well! This was a good eye-opener for me. I have my own mess of habits I am working on! Love and miss you so much!
I love your new header. So cheery. Good thing I don't have a backyard to weed - or bad habits for that matter - hehe.
Post a Comment