Monday, August 2, 2010

The Janester is a little bird.

When I say our life is mostly a musical,
it means a lot of things.


Sometimes it's because when Jason gets a song in his head he sings the same two lines over and over for four and a half days before the song blows itself out.
-deep breath here as I compose myself-

Sometimes its because Janie and I can frequently be found singing and dancing around the dining room.
[especially when there's housework to be done]

Sometimes its because we make up all kinds of ridiculous songs about all kinds of things.
[but mostly about Janie. She's very easy to sing about.]

Sometimes it's because if you happen to say something that happens to be in a phrase from a song somewhere,
Jason will stop
and belt out the song.
[which is usually pretty funny]

Or he will change the lyrics to make the song about whatever it was we were talking about.
[which is usually downright hilarious!
like, for example, the Toby Keith song he tweaked to be about corn dogs.]


But lately it's because
our little bird
has started to sing some songs of her own.
Sometimes when she's alone in her bed
and we have it blaring on the monitor.
Sometimes it's when she's in her high chair waiting for lunch.
Or right after she gets out of the bath and her daddy rolly-rolls her in her towel.
Or when she's laying around on the floor with miles of toys around her.
wah, wah
la, la
baaaaaa ba ba.


Music to my ears.
"Are you singing a beautiful song?" I ask her.
And I just have to tell her,

"I love that song!"





So my little bird, get along
you're the heart of my songs
and when it rains so hard
let it open up the sky so you can fly
above the trees
and tell the world what you see
'cause you can see
so
far

-Peter Breinholt


This reminded me of this.
And how our beautiful Janie's song is the best.

No comments: