You will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windows are lighted. But mostly they're darked.
A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin!
Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in?
How much can you lose? How much can you win?
And IF you go in, should you turn left or right...
or right-and-three-quarters? Or maybe, not quite?
Or go around back and sneak in from behind?
Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find,
for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.
I felt ready when I stepped on stage for my parenthood performance.
Until the steps I had learned weren't part of Janie's routine.
And I had to learn a whole new dance.
Wear a different pair of shoes.
Find the rhythm in our new music.
Dance on this stage where the steps are not marked.
Tonight [between tears] dear old Dr. Seuss helped me keep time
and even helped me with my footwork.
But on you will go...
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.
On and on you will hike.
And I know you'll hike far
And face up to your problems
whatever they are.
You'll get mixed up, of course,
as you already know....
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dextrous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
And yes, this is one that YOU, too, need to read!
[I made up that last part myself.]
Some windows are lighted. But mostly they're darked.
A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin!
Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in?
How much can you lose? How much can you win?
And IF you go in, should you turn left or right...
or right-and-three-quarters? Or maybe, not quite?
Or go around back and sneak in from behind?
Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find,
for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.
I felt ready when I stepped on stage for my parenthood performance.
Until the steps I had learned weren't part of Janie's routine.
And I had to learn a whole new dance.
Wear a different pair of shoes.
Find the rhythm in our new music.
Dance on this stage where the steps are not marked.
Tonight [between tears] dear old Dr. Seuss helped me keep time
and even helped me with my footwork.
But on you will go...
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.
On and on you will hike.
And I know you'll hike far
And face up to your problems
whatever they are.
You'll get mixed up, of course,
as you already know....
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dextrous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
And yes, this is one that YOU, too, need to read!
[I made up that last part myself.]

