Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday Memory: homemade happiness

When I was small, I was an avid Sesame Street fan.
And I adored Bert and Ernie.

One day I told my mom that I wished Bert and Ernie could come live with us.
"You do?" she replied with a laugh, and I vaguely remember her kindly trying to tell me that they weren't real.
I, of course, had no idea what she was talking about. She thought the better of it and gave up.
I assured her they were real and walked away.

Little did I know the wheels in her head were turning.
For my birthday that year Bert and Ernie did indeed come to live with us.
I was one happy little girl.
Sure, they were smaller than I thought they'd be, but I knew my mom had made them for me.
And somehow that made them very real.

It must have been all the homemade happiness she tucked inside.




I am exceedingly indecisive.
All my family and friends will attest.
It has gotten better since I've been married.
A good antidote for indecisiveness is to marry someone who is also indecisive.
Now we take turns.
And it works out ... most of the time.

But way back in 4th grade I just could not decide what I wanted to be for Halloween.
Until the day my class watched Disney's Peter Pan.
She was funny, sassy, cute and could fly. She even saved the day in the end.

*Tinkerbell*

As I remember it was only about a week before Halloween. But my saintly mother agreed to make me a Tinkerbell costume. We found a pattern at the store, some soft bright green fabric, fairy wings and some white ballet slippers and she set to work.

After a bit of stress [hers] and a few tears [mine] it was finished.
I can honestly say it was the best costume I ever had. I felt magical just wearing it, like I really was leaving a trail of pixie dust behind when I walked.


It must have been stitched in with all that homemade happiness.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love it! I love love love the Bert and Ernie dolls! I loved them too. I still get all warm and fuzzy when I sing Ernie's "Well I'd Like to Visit the Moon" song to Edgar. Alex and I worked up a version of that song with guitar and harmonies (=

Occassionally (does that word have two c's, s's, and l's?) we watch vintage Sesame Street skits on You Tube.