Wednesday, June 2, 2010

dirty dishes: a new drama coming this summer




She is afraid of the dishes.

On Monday I was catching up on two days worth of... I mean... on a few dishes. Janie was nearby in her high chair, dropping yogurt cups on the floor for me to retrieve promptly every 2.2 minutes.

As I was loading up the dishwasher, I looked up at Janie. Her face was panic-stricken. When I asked her what was wrong, her bottom lip popped out of her chin and sobs rushed out like someone stepped off the garden hose. I took her out of her high chair and we tried to figure out what in the blue blazes, as her aunt Kathie would say, was wrong.

The same thing happened a few hours later, in the kitchen, but with Jason this time. Shrieks of terror.

Then again yesterday, in the kitchen, as I was loading the dishwasher. She was staring at the sink in horror.

She is afraid of the dishes.


Apparently she is very nervous about them banging around in the sink. I don't know how or why this happened, but I guess dishes [of all things] can now be added to the list of things that put her in a tear-filled tizzy, along with:

*that loud thing that cleans the floor, you know... V-A-C [don't say the word!]
*the blow dryer [clippies are my new best friends]
*the automatic car wash
*musical toys [all relocated to the basement until further notice]
*real guitars
*fake guitars
*the blender
*the mixer
*the electric chopper
*the electric food mill
*doctors' offices
*having her nose cleaned out

[We are keeping the lawn mower a secret and don't anybody spill the beans.]

Bless her little heart.

This made me think back to some of my own childhood fears:

*the dark [I think I had a night light until I was 14 or something. seriously.]
*ghosts
*Santa coming into my room on Christmas Eve
*when the clothes in my closet looked like a ghost
*that terrible Unsolved Mysteries show with its eerie theme song music
*a ghost being under my bed
*dogs
*and all other animals
*stuff on TV about ghosts
*getting in trouble from my teacher
*the deep end of the pool

My fears now:

*being the last one asleep. I just hate it.
*driving at high speeds in lots of traffic
*getting up in front of people
*what other people think

and...

*dirty dishes.

[they sometimes put me in a tear-filled tizzy, too.] [bless my heart.]

1 comment:

Kathie said...

awww Meg, you mentioned me:) I must admit, loud sounds get me a little anxious lately too. Janie's cousin Abigail can sure sympathize with the fear or dislike of loud noises-although she likes the white noise sounds-just not the sounds of lots of people talking, a dog barking, etc. Perhaps they can find solace in each other's company? Maybe after Janie gets used to that screaming, binkie having cousin;)