Jason's half-birthday half birthday cake
***
"We were all very excited to begin the hike, and at first we moved rapidly along the paved trail. One-fourth of the way came quickly,
but it took longer to reach the halfway point.
Caroline [the 6-year-old] started to get discouraged. ...
Then it seemed that everything went wrong.
Strong winds came up, and the dust from the winds made it difficult to see.
It was a little scary,
and as if that weren’t enough, we came across a signpost that read,
“Rattlesnake Habitat. Stay on the Trail. Stay Safe.”
***
A woman set out on a hike to a beautiful cave with two granddaughters, ages 9 and 6.
"We were all very excited to begin the hike, and at first we moved rapidly along the paved trail. One-fourth of the way came quickly,
but it took longer to reach the halfway point.
Caroline [the 6-year-old] started to get discouraged. ...
Then it seemed that everything went wrong.
Strong winds came up, and the dust from the winds made it difficult to see.
It was a little scary,
and as if that weren’t enough, we came across a signpost that read,
“Rattlesnake Habitat. Stay on the Trail. Stay Safe.”
Slowly we trudged along, three-fourths of the way to our goal, but we still had the steepest part of the mountain to climb. Tired, scared, and doubting her abilities, Caroline sat down and tearfully declared, “I give up! I can’t go any farther!”
We sat down, and we talked about what we should do.We made a plan.
We decided to count our steps and see how we felt after 100 steps.
We decided to count our steps and see how we felt after 100 steps.
[we] assured Caroline that we would help her.
We were to look for something that made us happy along the way
and share our discoveries.
We even sang some primary songs."
***
Long ago, I stumbled upon a postcard at a close-out sale in a party store.
The card had a nice quote on it, and as I have a little penchant for displaying quotes, I thought I might put it up somewhere one day,
when I was married.
I can't remember the exact words now, or even who said it, but it was something to the effect of how marriage can take the heart out of you one moment and put it right back the next.
I never did put it up.
I guess I didn't need to.
I'm pretty sure it's imprinted on my heart.
This week we celebrated Jason's half-birthday.
[I read about someone who gives his wife a gift on her half-birthday and I thought it sounded like fun.]
And the more I thought about it,
the more I thought about how important the halfway points are in our lives.
[or one-third points or three-fourths points or seven-tenths]
And how I should take more time to
remember
reflect
celebrate
where I have been
or where I am
instead of where I [or we] are not.
So when I am feeling
tired, scared and doubting my abilities
I will
look for something that made us happy along the way
and say
I can go a hundred steps more
and see how it feels.
Because when I look back at
what we did
where we have been
what we came through
it kinda makes me think,
not of primary songs,
but of Bon Jovi
whoa-oh! we're halfway there!
and also that, like little Caroline, we definitely have help.
whoa-oh! livin' on a prayer!
[happy half-birthday jase. i'm pretty sure we're halfway to
*figuring each other out.
*having a regular meal rotation of foods we both like
*you getting an iPhone [gotta have hope, right?]
*you driving slower and me driving faster
*learning how to get to... anywhere... on time.
*and pretty much just being Barbie and Ken.
but really, isn't being George and Martha way more fun?]
P.S. not halfway on: number of kids.
massages that I'm going to need.
or, come to think of it, on reading the Scarlet Pimpernel together...

can you find us?
[we're only halfway there!]
We were to look for something that made us happy along the way
and share our discoveries.
We even sang some primary songs."
***
Long ago, I stumbled upon a postcard at a close-out sale in a party store.
The card had a nice quote on it, and as I have a little penchant for displaying quotes, I thought I might put it up somewhere one day,
when I was married.
I can't remember the exact words now, or even who said it, but it was something to the effect of how marriage can take the heart out of you one moment and put it right back the next.
I never did put it up.
I guess I didn't need to.
I'm pretty sure it's imprinted on my heart.
This week we celebrated Jason's half-birthday.
[I read about someone who gives his wife a gift on her half-birthday and I thought it sounded like fun.]
And the more I thought about it,
the more I thought about how important the halfway points are in our lives.
[or one-third points or three-fourths points or seven-tenths]
And how I should take more time to
remember
reflect
celebrate
where I have been
or where I am
instead of where I [or we] are not.
So when I am feeling
tired, scared and doubting my abilities
I will
look for something that made us happy along the way
and say
I can go a hundred steps more
and see how it feels.
Because when I look back at
what we did
where we have been
what we came through
it kinda makes me think,
not of primary songs,
but of Bon Jovi
whoa-oh! we're halfway there!
and also that, like little Caroline, we definitely have help.
whoa-oh! livin' on a prayer!
[happy half-birthday jase. i'm pretty sure we're halfway to
*figuring each other out.
*having a regular meal rotation of foods we both like
*you getting an iPhone [gotta have hope, right?]
*you driving slower and me driving faster
*learning how to get to... anywhere... on time.
*and pretty much just being Barbie and Ken.
but really, isn't being George and Martha way more fun?]
P.S. not halfway on: number of kids.
massages that I'm going to need.
or, come to think of it, on reading the Scarlet Pimpernel together...

can you find us?
[we're only halfway there!]



2 comments:
Bailee found you guys in the picture! she asked "why did they put that stuff on it?" good post, once again! love you
Ok, I can't comment on the curler picture...but I am all too familiar with a pink spongy curler. I had to endure them for both church and dance competitions. My mom would actually first braid the section of hair that would be in the curler...then wrap the braided section in the curler. Lets just say I had quite big hair.
Those things also made good GI Joe guns, if you ask my brother. :)
Post a Comment