Before I can go to sleep each night
I tiptoe across the hall
To Janie's room
I fix her blankets around her
and replace her bears near her little face
where she likes to snuggle them close
I lean down to kiss her for the last time today
I breathe her in as I listen to her breathe
In the stillness
It feels very holy here with her,
like her room was built onto heaven's floor plan
A little part of me wants to curl up on the floor by her crib
and sleep in the heavenly peace
I stay until she stirs a little
and I tiptoe away
My visit to heaven
always leaves me,
arms and heart,
stronger
to carry us through another day.
Or am I simply feeling
her wings
carrying me?
*photo taken February '08



1 comment:
So very beautiful. I feel the same way about my little Katers when I watch her sleeping. Janie is beautiful.
Post a Comment