Saturday, January 16, 2010

My... other [first] children.

So,
let's be honest here.
I've been mothering for a long time now.
[Heavenly Father knew I could use the practice.]
I guess you could say I had some kids on loan.

Meet my training-wheels babies:

I was 11 when this one was born.

An age at which I wanted nothing more than to snuggle and love him.
He would have none of it. He was not a snuggly baby.
I used to spend my after-school time patiently singing him to sleep
[anything to put off doing homework]
"Jesus Once Was a Little Child" over and over and over.
He would sleep for about 3 minutes.
And then he was awake and off.
When he was five I used to fold up in a "taco hug" over him.
Now, at 6'4"[plus?] he could almost taco hug me.
[somewhat awkwardly, but you get the idea. Kid is tall.]
He is still sleepless in K-town, up early to read the scriptures.
Goes running. Does track and pole-vaulting after school.
Takes cool things like Culinary Arts during school [kid can dice].
Knows a little about everything. Our Grandma Nora once commented: "You can ask Ethan about anything, and there isn't a thing he doesn't know something about or hasn't at least heard of."
He is as brilliant as his hair.
A little zany at times, but that's what makes him so fun.
He drives. Like, a real car.
My baby is growing up.
And I am so proud.


My second-born:

At the tender age of 15, I loved being her second mom.
I dressed her up. I read to her.
After school I would put her up on my shoulders and she would play with my hair
[keeps the homework away, you see the pattern here?]
She was snuggly and sweet and all my friends cooed over her.
She didn't like Jason at first, because he took all my attention away from her.
She is a reader, a writer, a little event planner.
She is becoming so lovely.
I can't wait to discover it all.
And I am so proud.


This one came and broke us in.

We moved into their basement when she was tiny, so she spent her first few years thinking she had two dads and two moms [her parents are so good about sharing].
She was always trying to escape into our room and find us.
We adored her.
She kind of fell down the stairs once trying to follow us out of the house. We were leaving and she wanted to come.
It was sad.
But really, really cute.
One day I was leaving Janie with them while I had to go out.
On my way out, Bailee said, "Um, I think you better give Janie a hug."
She was right. I told her she is going to be a good mom.
See? Not only cute, but really, really smart.
And I am so proud.



I like to think it's a little of me, rubbing off on them.
But it's probably some of them [and their parents] rubbing off on me.
Either way, I am one happy pre-mommyfied mommy.

Thanks for the loans.

Exactly what kind of interest do I pay on those?