"Jase, we really are perfect for each other." I recently declared with a loud laugh. Jason's mom had presented me with one of Jason's old photo albums. As I flipped through pages of my husband's childhood, his goggle-like specs stood out like red pen marks on a fourth-grade book report. Between not-so-quiet snickerings I added,
"We were both the nerdiest kids ever."

I myself completely blame our geekiness on our over-sized eyewear.
[and on my unmanageable hair, but that is another post entirely]
When we were little we used to put my dad's glasses on and walk around feeling like we were 8 feet tall. I think my parents used to tell us it wasn't good for our eyes. In a cruel twist of fate they may have been right [though genetically we were all headed for blurrier pastures from the start!]. I got glasses when I was in 2nd grade. Apparently it should have been sooner. When I started to wear them I was suddenly reading the signs out loud as we were driving around town, which left my very surprised parents also feeling a bit sheepish. After that they made it hard for me to *forget* to wear my glasses.
Jason's eyeglass adventures began in the 1st grade, where the doctor explained that Jason only needed to wear them when he couldn't see.
Little Jason thought, "Pshaw, I can see!"
And he promptly hid the glasses he so despised.
And then he promptly forgot where he hid them.
At parent-teacher conferences when his mom asked his teacher,
"How is Jason doing with his glasses?"
the teacher promptly replied,
"Jason has glasses?"
They were later found stuffed in the back of the game closet under a bunch of towels.
Now before you comment on how our future children are doomed to dorkdom,
just remember that old saying about how the nerds are the ones who rule the world.
It's true.
Just look at how we turned out.


2 comments:
I love it, Meg! I was wondering why Jason wanted to know when he started wearing glasses! You two are the two most awesome nerds I know!
Meg, you totally crack me up! I too wore big dorky glasses from 3rd grade to 8th grade (then I got contacts...woo hoo). About 5 years ago I had my eyes surgically corrected with laser and I love it! It's a miracle, I tell you! Growing up I was the only one of my siblings that needed glasses. Recently though all my sisters have ended up needed glasses. Go figure!
Post a Comment