Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Memory: How I first became a rocker


My seventh birthday party. It pretty much rocked. Also rockin' the charts: my medieval page boy 'do.


In honor of Jason's Rock Band birthday bash coming up, allow me to share a piece of my own history of all things
*rock*

My first Barbie doll was "Barbie and the Rockers" barbie.

I think I got her for my seventh birthday.

She had skin-tight silver spandex pants, clear heels with sparkles, and an electric pink top with silver stars that was a belly shirt in the front, a tuxedo-tail-look in the back.
Because, you see, that was how we rolled in the 80's.

I'm mostly convinced that my parents must have bought her on clearance.
Because, you see, that was how they rolled in the 80's.

I lost one of her heels in my dad's giant bean bag the day after I got her. I was totally bummed. They were the best part. Those and the microphone. Barbie was, of course, the lead singer of her band.
When you turned her waist, her arms would move up and down.
(ah, the days before Barbie had straight arms)
She so totally knew how to rock.

Unfortunately, as my first, she was destined to be my "training" barbie. With her I learned all the things that you can't/should not do with barbie, such as shampooing her hair, giving her a haircut and pulling her head off too many times, just to name a few.

As a result, my rockin' barbie was a sad sight fairly early in her career.
And so she became "the mom" barbie,
you know,
the one who is the mom to all the barbies that still look like they're supposed to.

This rock-star-gone-matriarch turned out to be a good thing. She was the one who would gasp and ask all the other barbies,
"What on earth are you wearing? You're going out in that?!?"

The *rockin' mom barbie* in me now knows that someone needed to do it and, from the look on his face, it sure wasn't going to be Totally Hair Ken.


3 comments:

Tami said...

LOL. Oh man...Barbie's were HUGE back then. I got one for every birthday an Christmas until I was like 12. Good times! :)

Candice said...

Psh, I had a Jem doll! :D I think I would have liked the Barbie better, Jem's giant head was a little off putting to me as a four year old. :S

Henry Family said...

Love it!! I had a similar haircut growing up, but mine was more of the Dorothy Hamill do (I am a little older than you). But, I fondly remember Rockin' Barbie! Thanks for the fun memory!