March 2008, 6 weeks after we moved in
When I realized that building on the hill was the future Oquirrh Mountain temple, I was immediately attached to the house. We put offers in on two houses that day. I found that I was thrilled when this house was the one that accepted our offer.
I remember a time, during my sixth grade year, when my family was preparing to move back to Utah from Colorado. One week we all flew to Utah to look at houses with our realtor cousin, Marla. I remember one house that was not quite finished. Like always, the kids began scampering through the house to explore. I was compelled to stop in the dining area. There outside the large window, towering high above, was a temple. I can't even tell you which temple it was. But I remember the feeling I felt as I stood there, feeling somehow connected with beauty and love and peace, with heaven. I stood there looking out that window until we left. My family didn't buy that house, but I came away from that moment somewhat wistful, dreaming of seeing that beauty and love and peace outside one of my own windows someday.
May 2008
My heaven-view windows are a very humbling tender mercy.
It has been a blessing to watch "our" temple being built. The temple finds its way into each of our days. Our bishop encouraged us to give whatever we felt we could to help build it, and we found that we never missed what was given. On the night that President Hinckley died, I went to our temple-view-window as I thought of how I would miss "my" prophet. Though it was late Sunday night, one of the bright construction lamps had been turned on inside the temple. The light was such a bright white that it almost looked like some heavenly being was there, looking out over the valley. It was comforting to me then and seemed beautifully symbolic of the light that President Hinckley had brought to so many, especially through the many, many temples that came about under his direction.
The youth in our ward participated in a performance to celebrate the temple and I was able to attend some of the practices where they prepared. They were able to learn from very talented people (including a visit of encouragement from David Archuleta) who were willing to give of their time to prepare the youth for what would be a memorable, spiritual night. They would be performing for President Monson, as he wanted them to have a "temple experience" of their own, and to share it with them. Early one Saturday morning we (three of our young women and me) helped clean part of Bangerter Highway in preparation for the open house. I felt so excited for these youth, remembering my own temple experience as a 12 or 13 year-old, putting booties on the feet of those who attended the Bountiful Temple open house (I don't think they do this anymore).
Our family was able to have some "temple experiences" of our own. Jason volunteered as security on what turned out to be a cold, windy night. I had the privilege of cleaning the temple late one night in July during the open house. In remembrance of those who made heartbreaking sacrifices to build temples, and to show gratitude to the Lord for His house in our midst, the young women in our ward chose something to give to the Lord in their own lives and "broke" (shredded) their own "china" (fancy paper cut in the shape of plates) to symbolize their sacrifice. Our family's gift was to make our home more like the temple. As the temple construction progressed, it seemed that we were too. A greater power increased in our home. I especially noticed that more and more I was able to get my home in order without becoming so discouraged/frustrated/overwhelmed by the task. One day I read about how the Saints in Kirtland felt a spiritual outpouring in the days leading up to, during and after the dedication of the temple. I wondered if this was what we were experiencing.
July 2008
It was so exciting to see the temple the first night it was all lit up. I showed it to Janie from our window, overjoyed that she could finally see it glowing in the surrounding blackness. Whenever we would drive in front of it we would try to get her to look at it, but she never seemed to understand what we were pointing to or be able to see what we wanted her to see. This made my heart ache a little. That's when we started to sing "I Love To See the Temple" whenever we passed it. Janie would become quiet and still and begin to smile every time. Here was the way she could "see" the temple! I was overjoyed. My gratitude for that song, especially for the beautiful and inspired lyrics, was instilled in me each time I watched the happiness of my special little daughter as we turned the radio down to sing and she was also able to have a "temple experience."

June-July 2009
Today the temple was dedicated.
My family came, and my parents got to have all six of their children there.
Needless to say, it was beautiful.
During the dedication service, our prophet, President Monson, pointed out how we have many rooms in our homes:
rooms for eating, rooms for sleeping, rooms for TV.
We need to make sure that we have
*room*
for
Christ.
When or if there comes a time when I will no longer have a temple view from my home, I pray that I will, as so many in the world do, always be able to have
a
temple
*view*
in my
heart.


3 comments:
Beautiful post Meg! Thanks for sharing your testimony and your "veiw" with us!
Meg, I sat and bawled all through your thoughts and expressions of love for the temple. I love you for your beautiful insights. Thanks for being a part of my life!
Thanks for sharing your testimony and the beautiful pictures with all of us.Love, Nola
Post a Comment