Janie is now 2 1/2. Her physical skills are still at about the level of a 7 month-old in many ways. She has been able to sit up on her own for almost a year now, which was one of the most exciting milestones for us. It has proved to be a bit of a mixed blessing, however, as we learned last month that she has begun to show some scoliosis (curving of the spine) in her upper spine. As I understand it, because her muscles were still not as strong as they should be she hasn't been sitting as straight as she needed to. As a result her spine has taken the path of least resistance. She had to be fitted for a back brace last month. After a car accident on I-15, a nasty head cold that lasted for 2 weeks, and a two-hour long appointment, we finally have the brace! We are looking at a year or more of Janie having to wear it. We are also starting to look into getting her a wheelchair in the next year. This is not because we are giving up on her being able to move on her own, but realistically that milestone is going to be quite a ways down the road, and she is only getting bigger (which is a blessing, don't get me wrong!) but she is also getting harder to carry around. She will also be starting preschool when she turns three, and a wheelchair will also be optimal in a school situation.
We still have therapists from Early Intervention who come in a few times a month. Janie's physical therapist, Julie, is incredibly knowledgeable and understanding and I absolutely adore her. I am sure we are kindred spirits (like Anne of Green Gables always talks about!) and Julie has become very special to us. I love Janie's other therapists as well. Her vision therapist is wonderful to help us better understand how her vision is developing and what to expect down the road. She also has a speech therapist, who works mainly on feeding skills right now, but since feeding skills seem to be coming along pretty slowly, she has given us some great ideas and insights on Janie's physical development as well. One of the best things about having therapists is that they notice progress that we sometimes overlook or miss, simply because we see Janie all the time and it happens so gradually. They, of course, are more familiar than we are with child development in the many different areas and how and why children do things at certain times and generally in a certain order.
Based on assessments, Janie's vision is at about a 12 month-old level but is still progressing. Even with those results, however, it is hard to know exactly what she can really see. Most people notice that her eyes don't always come together and align to focus on things (though usually people think she is tired). I guess this is what happens with newborns for the first few months of their life (their eyes don't always align), and eventually the brain trains the eyes to move together. Janie's brain just never did that and while her eye alignment is improving and her eyes can and do focus on things and move together, it may take a future surgery to fully correct it (it would be for cosmetic reasons only, though. Apparently, it is not affecting her vision).
Cognitively, assessments show that Janie is at about a 12-15 month-old level. She understands a lot of what we say, and she definitely communicates with cute little grunts (for yes) and squeals (for "OH YES, I want a treat!"). She uses her vision to communicate as well (looking at the things she wants) and in the past 4-6 months she has started reaching for things, which has been exciting.
For a while we were concerned that she might have some sensory issues (that too much stimulation might actually be causing her physical pain) but we had an amazing Occupational Therapist who came to evaluate Janie. It helped us to understand her better and we learned that when we are trying to get her moving and working her muscles we need to give her lots of input to rev up her little system (think roughhousing) and change the activities up a lot to keep her interest and keep her from getting frustrated with one activity (since we are making her work hard and who wants to work if they don't have to?)
Because of that hypotonia (low muscle tone) Janie has to work a lot harder than most kids to use her muscles and this includes the muscles in her mouth. She is not able to chew, so we have to blend or mash up all of her food or give her things that can "melt" fairly easily in her mouth (like graham crackers). She moves food around in the front of her mouth with her tongue, but mostly is swallowing things whole so we have to be careful about what she can have. This is one of the hardest parts for me, because a lot of my day is spent figuring out what to feed her (I try to get her a variety) then blending it up in the food mill, then feeding it to her one baby spoonful or piece at a time. If she decides she doesn't want what I make, it gets really frustrating to try to figure out what else I can find that I can put through the food mill, etc. Ever since she turned 2 she has become a bit picky and this was really hard for me, because she used to eat everything. I am doing better with it now, but I ended up throwing away a lot of food before we got to that point. She seems to be quite the typical kid though: loves yogurt, pizza, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, spaghettios, scrambled eggs and Subway sandwiches (all of which can be put through the food mill, if you can you believe it). She loves cheese, so sometimes we can entice her to try new things by putting cheese on top. Wheat bread with butter and jam with milk poured over it is her all-time favorite thing and York peppermint patties are her favorite treat. I have noticed that lately she is moving things around in her mouth more and that is really exciting.
Janie figured out she could lift her crib bumper and see out of her crib. She thought this was pretty fun. April 2009
We saw the geneticist this past year to see if genetics could tell us more about what to expect for Janie in the future, to possibly determine a cause for her delay, etc. Genetics is a crazy business--so open-ended! We learned that when you go to do genetic testing, there is only a 40% chance that you will ever get a diagnosis. We were in that 60% of conditions that have no known name or cause, nothing was found to give an indication of why this happened. We did find out based on those stats, however, that there is only a 1 in 100 chance that this would happen with other children we might have. So for now, she has the Janie Case Syndrome and we focus on what we can do for her (versus the whys).
Janie is a 2 year-old in lots of ways--temper tantrums, picky eating, wanting things her way, and lately, whining for everything. She wants mommy all the time. We are so grateful for any and all normalcy that comes our way, but still don't want to enable her or create bad habits. I'm always a little perplexed on how much to expect from her developmentally as far as things like that go. Her whining is especially getting to me. I'm so happy that she's communicating, but it does tug at the nerves just a bit after a while. I'm hoping it has to do with getting used to the brace and that it will be short-lived.
2009 has been fun and exciting for Janie, though. Lately she is really doing well on bearing weight on her arms, which will get her ready for crawling and has been a long time coming. In the last month she has learned to wave and she has again started giving kisses (which is smacking her lips. She does not want to kiss a cheek!) She loves to look at the scriptures during family night (and has been successful in ripping a page or two out of them. I let her rip up the junk mail and she loves it). She loves firetrucks, rainbows, and trains, especially Thomas the Tank Engine. She still LOVES books, and wants to be "read to" first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, and after every meal. She especially loves the story of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. She can now show us where her ear, her hair, her fingers, hands, feet and toes are, but thinks that her nose is in the same place as her ear. She loves to dump toys out, but gets mad when no one is around to put them back in for her to dump again. She is now terrified of most musical toys, and it still usually takes her a few days to get used to a new toy. She loves to play with those bath poufs, and will actually put them in her mouth and bite them (another milestone!) She is quite the little botanist and loves to look at plants and trees. My neighbors probably think I am obsessed with checking the trees in our backyard because we frequently make the rounds to each one. Janie will now sit in the grass, which I am so happy about, because for the longest time she was terrified of it so our backyard was not used much.
Well, that was more of an overview than an update (sorry so long!), but I know that some of you don't know much about Janie and are not even sure what to ask, so here you go. She really is such a good little girl. I feel so blessed to be her mom and that I get to see her little smile every day!


9 comments:
Yay! I'm so glad for the update. She is so cute...and you are such a good mom Meg, which I never doubted you would be! Thanks for the invite to your blog too! Hugs! :)
Meg!! I am so glad to read this and am so glad you are doing another blog! I am always checking out the old blog to see if you've updated so I was really happy to see the invitation to this blog! I'm so sad I didn't get to see you guys when we were in Utah this month- definitely next time! Hope you guys are doing well (sounds like you are) we love and miss you guys!
Jaimee
You guys make such a cute family. Thanks for the invite and allowing us to view your blog. I wish the best for you and Janie and hope she continues to progress. I knew you'd make an awesome mom!
-Marc
I really enjoyed this post. I know you've told me a lot, but I know it's hard to tell so many people the same things over and over, so it was nice to read it all. I'm so excited for the progress you all have made. You are an exemplary mother and I really look up to you. I think you do a great job of doing your best to provide Janie with learning and fun opportunities. I'm excited for your new blog:)
Meg,thanks for taking the time to write this. It was great and I really appreciate that you shared all this. Remember you, Jason, and Janie are always in our prayers and we put your names in at the temple every month. We love you guys and hope to see more of you.
Hey so it worked now! I miss everyone and I love that we have blogging to keep us up to date since we have busy lives and can't talk to each other as much as we should. I am excited to see everyone soon - give Janie a hug and kiss from all of us!
Wow! Thank you for sharing. What a great mother you are Meg! Motherhood is both challenging and rewarding and it seems especially so for you with your sweet daughter. I'm glad to hear that she is making slow and steady progress. Thank you for including us in your new blog! I'm so grateful for the internet so that I can keep up with my cousins!
That was so enlightening! I get overwhelmed with my mothering responsibilities very easily, so I can only imagine how difficult it is when you don't know what to expect from your child at a certain age. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job though! Oh, and the food issue sounds super frustrating. I had similar problems when the doctor wanted Ivy to gain weight and she got so bored of the same old foods. Has Janie met with a dietitian? I've been taking some nutrition classes lately, so I'm curious. Vitamin D3 and iron can supposedly improve muscle strength and vitamin B12 helps with cognitive development. Both iron and B12 are found in beef (especially liver, but I don't know if you could get Janie to eat that :) I know most people don't share my current enthusiasm for nutrition, so just let me know if you're interested in more information.
I did wonder if the delay was genetically determined so that was interesting. I really hope you have more children in the future; you're such a wonderful mother and a second child would probably seem easy after all the hard work you do for Janie!
Thanks for posting!
Hey Meg thanks for inviting me to your blog- Best Case Scenarios. You should win an award for the title.
Also thanks for opening up yourself (not that you were ever closed) to enlighten us on Janie. What a sweetheart. She's so cute and has the best mom ever.
Post a Comment